Sunday 2 October 2016

Butterick 6118 - modified

The weather in the UK has turned autumnal over the last week or so, meaning bare legs and summer dresses are definitely out. My wardrobe is lacking in some practical long sleeved knits to throw on over leggings. I pulled out Butterick 6118 which I made a couple of versions of last winter (but aren't too keen on anymore), and set about altering the pattern into a simple tunic.  I know there are tons of tunic patterns out there, but I'd already made some fitting adjustments to the arms and sleeves, so all I needed to do was taper the side seams to fit.

I'm not sure why I bought this fabric, it's an extremely thick, bright, scuba knit.  I ran into the sewing shop for thread, and before I knew it I'd asked for 2 meters.  I usually give myself plenty of time when buying fabric to avoid such rash purchases!  That said, it came in useful today for trying out the pattern alterations. If it all went wrong I wouldn't be too disappointed!

Fabric


Fabric
















Over the course of the day, it has grown on me, and I actually quite like the finished garment.  Scuba knit is so well behaved and a dream to sew with.  I used my over locker for all the seams; finished the neckline, sleeves and hem with a twin needle and a stretch stitch, then trimmed the excess seam allowances to make them neat and tidy.
































Front view



Back view





















Neckline





















I wore it out last night and have a couple more minor tweaks to make to the pattern before cutting the next version.

No comments:

Post a Comment